St. Johns School is seeking energetic and motivated individuals to plan and lead summer camps for children and youth in our programme, SJS Summer to Discover.
Under the general direction of the Summer Camps Coordinator, Summer Camp Leaders will be responsible for planning activities and supervising participants in a variety of programs for children and youth. Summer Camp Leaders will ensure the safety and well-being of participants, and will communicate and work cooperatively with participants, parents, and other programme staff.
The programme runs for five weeks from June 15 to July 17. Ideal candidates will be available for a minimum of three of these five weeks.
Role & Responsibilities
- Participate in programme leadership training sessions
- Plan, facilitate and lead creative, active and engaging weekly camp programmes, including a variety of activities, games, sports, and crafts, appropriate to the age and theme of the camps
- Supervise participants directly, maintaining leader-to-participant ratio at all times
- Ensure the safety and wellbeing of participants by maintaining the program space, implementing safe practices and leading well organized activities.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with Summer Camp Assistants and with other Summer Camp Leaders
- Supervise and mentor Volunteers
- Purchases supplies as needed
- Perform first aid as needed
- Report on the results of planned activities, including any incidents, accidents or operational concerns.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Completion of Grade 12
- Experience working with children and youth in a childcare, recreational or instructional setting
- A general working knowledge of sports, social activities, arts, crafts and special events of particular interest to today's youth.
- Understanding of age group characteristics, traits and the ability to adapt programmes.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills necessary to establish rapport with various age groups.