Elevate: Annual Giving is the foundation of all fundraising initiatives at St. John's School. These funds support, expand and strengthen our programmes, resources and facilities on an ongoing basis.
St. John's relies on the funds raised through Annual Giving to keep tuition fees reasonable, while still providing an exceptional education for our students.Giving Soars in 2018-2019
Annual Giving participation and funds raised have reached their highest levels yet this year. Just a few of the 2018-2019 resources and programmes funded by Annual Giving include:
- Classes and workshops with Olympian Jamie Broder
- Installation of SMART Boards across the school
- Speaker Series featuring Terry Small for teachers and parents
- Artist in Residence programme
- Student musical Avenue Q
Opportunities like these have a lasting impact on students and allow them to explore and develop skills in new areas. “As a musician, I found that rehearsing with actors for the student musical was a completely different experience. It gave me insight into how live shows run and how to work with other types of artists. To see how everything came together was really interesting," said Challen W., Grade 12.
SJS students are able to participate, excel and lead because of the opportunities funded by Annual Giving.PARTICIPATE
- Over 95% of our students participate in SJS co-curricular activities
- Over 65% of Senior School students participate in three or more co-curriculars
- All of our students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 have the opportunity to participate in Outdoor Education
- 49 students across 8 different grades took part in the student production of Avenue Q
- 50 students participate in the Junior School and Senior School Chess Clubs
- SJS has 33 Junior School co-curricular opportunities
- SJS has 56 Senior School co-curricular opportunities
- 100% of students receive offers to study undergraduate degrees
- 100% of students attained BC provincial honours standard for their BC Dogwood Diploma in 2018
- Students achieve an average IB Diploma Score of 32 (compared to world average of 30)
- The SJS Business Club won 1st and 2nd place at the Ivey Business Case Competition in 2019
- Five SJS students presented at the Greater Vancouver Regional Science Fair, winning a silver medal, the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC Award, and an honourable mention
- SJS Chess Club took the 'Top School' team prize in both the Kindergarten – Grade 3 and Grade 4 –12 categories at the BC Chess Challenge Regional Qualifier Round 3 in 2019
- Three SJS students earned Certificates of Distinction in the Canadian Senior Mathematics Contest and Canadian International Mathematics Contest
- SJS Business Club students earned three first place wins and two second place rankings in BC at the DECA Virtual Business Challenge
- 100% of our students participate in PYP, MYP and DP service projects
- Students received leadership coaching from Olympian Jamie Broder throughout 2018-2019
- Grade 8 students took part in a week-long leadership trip to Montana in November 2018
- SJS offers students yearly opportunities to take on leadership roles in their area of interest, including on Student Council, as a Student Ambassador and on athletic, academic and co-curricular teams
- Students lead collaborative CAS projects illustrating their creativity, activity and service
Donations of $1,500 or more annually are recognized by membership in our Founders Circle. Donors receive giving reports throughout the year and are honoured at the annual Founders Circle Reception. We welcomed more Founders Circle members than ever before in 2018-2019.
Be a leader in our community and participate in Annual Giving to help our students excel. Our participation goal is 100%. Every gift, regardless of size, makes a difference.